1551 Lerwick Rd, Courtenay, BC V9N 9B5
The Parent Advisory Council (PAC) of Mark R. Isfeld Secondary is hosting a very significant and powerful information night for the community on Wednesday April 18 at 7:00 pm.
The evening will cover a wide range of topics around substance use including: early warning signs, the facts behind addiction, how substance use affects teenage brain development, fentanyl and the opioid crisis, legalization of marijuana, rehabilitation support, and other topics.
Most importantly, it’s an opportunity for the community to learn and become more aware of substance use in our society and how to support those affected by it.
The evening will include a presentation by John and Jennifer Hedican who will tell the story of the loss of their son Ryan, a Mark R. Isfeld graduate, to fentanyl poisoning.
Additionally, the evening highlights a number of speakers covering a range of expertise in substance use, mental health, and addiction medicine:
- Dr. Charmaine Enns – Island Health – North Island Medical Health Officer;
- Dr. Ramm Hering – Physician Lead, Primary Care Substance Use for Island Health, Addiction Medicine Specialist;
- Dr. Theo Jankowski – Addiction Medicine Fellow with the BC Centre on Substance Use;
- Wendy Morin – John Howard Society – Youth and Family Substance Use Counsellor;
- Amanda Ridgway – John Howard Society – Substance Use Prevention and Early Intervention Coordinator;
The evening will conclude with a question and answer period between the audience and the speakers. All are welcome to attend.
DATE: Wednesday, April 18
TIME: 7:00 pm ( guests are encouraged to arrive early – doors open at 6:30 pm )
LOCATION: Gym at Mark R. Isfeld, 1551 Lerwick Rd, Courtenay
About Mark R. Isfeld PAC: The Mark R. Isfeld Parent Advisory Council ( PAC ) is made up of parent volunteers and is within School District 71.
Contact: To learn more about this event please contact Dr. Ed Howard 250-339-9868